How to see Athens in LESS than 24 hours
When you think of Athens Greece you immediately think the ancient greek gods and the giant Acropolis. When we originally booked our travel to Greece we made a stop in Athens to learn about all the historic culture, we booked for a total of 48 hours and I’d have to say that was MORE than enough time. In this post I’ll break down for you how to see Athens in LESS than 24 hours.
To be completely real with you, Athens was not my favorite city. Granted I think it is important to go there once, check out the sites but then just head straight for the beautiful greek isles. If you are headed to Athens, you should consider how long you are going for, and what exactly you want to see when you are there. Maybe consider a tour. A hop on hop off bus to hit all the sites, or a walking or scooter tour (check out the tour we did). I felt Athens was just dirty, there was graffiti at every turn, and wild kittys everywhere! It was the strangest thing. The biggest turn off I had to Athens was when we were exploring the Plaka. we were being grabbed by locals trying to string bracelets around our wrists, and wouldn’t let go of us. It was scary and uncomfortable, and those type of people are ALL over the Plaka area.
Here is a list of the main sites you are definitely not going to want to miss, but any tour you go on is going to provide these sites for you!
HOW TO SEE ATHENS IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS:
- Parthenon- do this first thing in the morning or right before they close. It will be cooler walking around up there, better light for photos, AND less crowded.
- Roman Agora- I wouldn’t go in here, its very tiny and you can see from the outside. But totally your choice.
- Plaka- Buyer Beware! This is a flea market essentially and just don’t get scammed. Try to avoid the trickety shops right in the center because the prices are outrageous, go to more of the side streets that aren’t as busy. EAT HERE! seriously some of the best food we had was in the Plaka.
- National Gardens– just a pretty walk on your way to the next location
- Hadrians Library & Temple of Zeus– they are right next to each other so it is a quick site to see.
- Grab dinner and some Mythos(Greek Beer) at fun spot you see along the way! Almost every place you go is going to have amazing food.
- Mount Lycabettus- if your feeling it take the cable car up the mountain and catch the sunset. views from all across the city.
Thats pretty much all the main to do’s in the city of Athens! Go for a day, explore! You can easily see all of Athens in LESS than 24 hours. Then head off to the Greek Isles, I’ll be taking you through our Santorini Island Adventure next week! So stay tuned!